Cannon Hill Park
Cannon Hill Park covers 200 acres of which 80 acres are formal parkland and 120 acres conservation and woodland plantation. It has 2 children’s play areas and a children’s mini fun-fair which runs weekends in fine weather. It also has free tennis courts, pedalos in the summer and a 36 hole mini golf course. There are two large pools with fish and ducks and quite a few squirrels. The MAC is also in the grounds, toilets and drinks/food can be found here, and a cafe can be found on the opposite side of the park.
The grade II listed bandstand which was part of the original layout is set in a natural amphitheatre. The park also contains the remains of the Golden Lion pub built in 1520, there is talk of restoring it if the money can be found.
The Park was donated to the citizens of Birmingham by Miss Louisa Ryland in 1873. She wanted the Park to be a source of healthy recreation for the people of Birmingham, and for them to help protect and preserve the park.
The park was designed by Mr. T J Gibson, who also designed Battersea Park in London, and was opened to visitors in 1873.
This is a lovely park, we have spent many a happy day here when our kids were little, ball and a picnic were all we needed. Even though they are all grown up now, we still love a walk around the park, and it doesn’t matter what time of the year it is or what the weather is doing, it’s a lovely place.